Since Avocado is the hot topic these days. Let’s talk about it. I get a lot of questions from my friend about avocado, its uses, its side effects, economic importance, etc. But in this article, I am not only going to talk about avocado but also avocado seed health benefits. Many of you guys already know the health benefits of avocado and all that but not everyone knows about its seed benefits. Is it good to eat its seed? Is it beneficial for health? So in this article, I am going to tell you guys avocado seed health benefits.
What is Avocado?
Avocado is a fruit with lethargy skin and inside it is smooth, oily, edible flesh. Many people argued that it is a vegetable, not a fruit. So as to solve your dilemma, it is confirmed that avocado is a fruit, not a vegetable. It is a nutrient dense fruit.
It belongs to genus Persea and family is Lauraceae. And it is interesting to know that avocado is actually a berry. It is considered as a fruit because it satisfies all the botanical criteria for a berry. Avocado has fleshy pulp and a seed.
Avocados are eaten as a salad, smoothie, desserts, etc. It can also be used as fat replaced. This is the reason it is extensively used in baking.
Fruit / Pulp of Avocado Benefits
the fruit /pulp of avocado is rich in 20 vitamins, it is low cholesterol, 30 calories, etc. So this clearly states that avocado is a superfood to eat. Some health benefits of avocado are:
1. It is rich in vitamins and minerals like:
- Vitamin K: – 26% of daily value
- Vitamin C: – 17% of daily value
- Vitamin B5: – 14% of daily value
- Vitamin B6: – 13% of daily value
- Vitamin E: – 10% of daily value
- Potassium: – 14% of daily value
- Folate: – 20% of daily value
2. It also has a trace amount of manganese, copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, thiamine, riboflavin and niacin.
3. It has 15 grams’ healthy fats, 2 grams of protein and 160 calories. It has net 2 g of carbs hence it is ketodiet friendly.
4. It has a lot of heart health monosaturated fatty acids. The majority of fat in avocado is Oleic acid which also a major component of olive oil.
5. It is loaded with fibers. A normal serving has 7 grams of fiber. Fiber is very important for weight loss.
6. It can lower the cholesterol. Hence it improves the heart diseases.
7. It has a lot of antioxidants like lutein and zeaxanthin. It is very good for eye health.
8. It is a very good fruit for cancer patients. It has been seen that avocado can prevent prostate cancer and can lower the effects of chemotherapy.
9. It is good for arthritis patients. It has soya bean oil which helps to cure arthritis.
10. It is good for weight loss.
Although the researches have been done on avocado seed but its benefits and rick are poorly characterized. According to the research study by Pennsylvania state university,2013 the conclusion is still not 100% promising. They say further studies are needed to be sure about the extract in seeds, its uses, its harmful effects, etc. So further studies are needed in this context. The California avocado commission says that avocado seed has element unintended for human consumption. It could be Persin which could be a toxin to certain animals. But it is not toxic to human beings. Also, the avocado seed has a chemical that can breakdown into cyanide but it is in a low amount to cause any of damages. So it was concluded that it is not toxic unless it is not overdosed. It is believed that you should not have not more than half of the seed in a day. Since the benefits are many and ricks are very low, so you can small dosage of seed to have its benefits
Avocado Seed Health Benefits:
1. It can prevent or fight cancer. Previously it was thought that avocado seed is of no use and should be discarded but no it has many health benefits which make it on the page. By studies in 2013, it has seen that avocado and avocado seed has ethanol extracts which can induce apoptosis i.e., cell death. It is suggested that avocado seed can be an alternative treatment for leukemia.
A lipid –avocatin B is present in the avocado seed. It is used for treating AML –acute myeloid leukemia. It is a cancer of blood and bone marrow. it is a potential cancer cure.
2. It helps in lowering the cholesterol levels. Because it has high good fat content. Eating avocado can keep the cholesterol level from rising but avocado seed is more effecting as it can lower the lipid profile in blood and liver. Also, avocado seed has more antioxidant than the fruit’s pulp hence it is more effective in lower cholesterol. Beta-sitosterol is found in avocado seed which is a steroid alcohol, it helps to maintain a healthy cholesterol level.
3. It can lower the blood pressure. A Nigerian herbalist says mixing the seed powder to your soup, pudding, etc. can treat hypertension or high blood pressure. But keep in mind the right dose will do its work. Don’t overuse it. A research shows that the water extracts of avocado seed reduce blood pressure by reducing the cholesterol levels, LDLs and Triglyceride levels and it increases HDLs or good cholesterol. But again on the right dosage. High concentration can cause hypothyroidism which can increase cholesterol levels.
4. It is antibacterial and antifungal. Avocado seeds are used in many countries as a treatment for parasitic or any fungal infections. It has anti-fungal chemicals likes phytosterols, Triterpenes, Fatty acids, Furoic acids, flavonol dimers, etc.
5. It also helps skin from sun damages. It can prevent or cure the sun damages like inflammation caused by UV rays. UV rays can cause skin cancer by DNA damage. But to cure this avocado seed has a polyhydroxylated fatty alcohol (PFA). It stops the condition before it can turn into cancer. Even in the United States in 1989, it was patent to use an oil based composition which was made from avocado seed, sulphur, castor oil, cod liver oil, orange water, etc. For a treatment to dry scalp and dry skin. The seed powder is used to cure dandruff.
6. It is useful for contraception. In some south American culture like quechua and siyona –secoya, they used the seed decoction as contraceptive. They considered it safe and don’t cause permanent sterility. It is made by boiling it with 4-5 cups of water for 15 minutes. It was used to stop menstruation. The seed tea is used to bring on menstruation.
7. It is anti-diabetic. In South American culture. Avocado seed decoction is used to cure or manage diabetes. It is due to calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, zinc, etc. which helps in managing diabetes.
8. It helps to cure diarrhea and bladder problems. Using seed decoction can treat bladder problems. It is used in treating dysentery and diarrhea.
9. It can help to treat pains. Avocado seed also as some anesthetic effects. Also, It can also reduce inflammations. It increases blood circulation. Its paste is used to reduce muscle pain. It can also be used as treatment of arthritis. It can also be used to cure a toothache.
10. treat kidney stones. It can be used to eliminate uric acid and hence it can treat kidney stones.
These were the 10 Avocado Seed Health Benefits. Hope you guys will like it.